ANY-Web.co.uk will become a comprehensive UK Web Portal and Directory, bringing you the best links on the Web.
Find information about any UK Town or village at www.ANY-Town.co.uk
books from Amazon.co.uk and
save up to 50% off bookstore prices.
Please support us by buying all your books and CDs from this site.
The parish church of Headington Quarry is situated just inside the city ring road, a short distance from the Headington A40 roundabout, some 2½ miles from Oxford city centre. If approaching by car use Trinity Road located just off the Headington to Cowley (A4142) section of the ring road which runs down to the the side of the Six Bells PH and is signposted. An attractive approach by foot is the narrow lane (Church signposted) from Quarry Road (Margaret Road end).
Like most churches in the area, Holy Trinity is kept locked when not in use (for times of services see The Church today below). Access at other times can be arranged by telephoning the Vicarage (01865 762931).
A wheelchair is provided at the rear of the church. A single shallow step leads into the churchs main entrance. Single deeper steps lead to the Lady Chapel and the Chancel. A Loop system is provided for those using hearing aids and a sound amplification system was installed in early 2000.
Most visitors are surprised to learn that this mediaeval-appearing building only celebrated its 150th anniversary as recently as 1999. Sir Gilbert Scott designed the church in the then popular Decorated Gothic style of the fourteenth century; Bishop Samuel Wilberforce laid the foundation on 19 June 1848; and the church was consecrated on 22 November 1849.
To commemorate the first 150 years of life at Holy Trinity, members of the church have produced a 164-page book Holy Trinity, Headington Quarry, Oxford 18491999. Copies of this publication may be obtained by sending a cheque for £5.80 (made payable to Holy Trinity Church) to 61 Collinwood Road, Headington, Oxford OX3 8HN.
The East Window above the altar (inserted 1951) was designed by Sir J Ninian Comper and depicts Christ in Glory.
The Lady Chapel was added after a collection was made following the death of Canon Ronald Head (vicar 19561990).
The Chancel windows depict St Andrew (the Parishs Patron Saint) and St Philip. These were installed in memory of the Revd Philip Doyne (vicar 191624).
The novelist and popular theologian Clive Staples Lewis was a member of the church congregation for over 30 years and is buried in the churchyard with his brother Warren Hamilton Lewis. There is a plaque in a pew off the north aisle which shows where C. S. Lewis and his brother used to sit. Near this pew is the Narnia Window (dedicated 2 July 1991). The window was paid for by the bequest of worshippers George and Kathleen Howe and designed and made by Sally Scott. The window shows Aslan the Lion and other features from the world of Narnia. Lewiss home at The Kilns in Lewis Close is a 15-minute walk from Holy Trinity.
Happy parishioners enjoying the 40's night in the Village Hall, May 2000 (Margaret Taylor)
The Revd Tom Honey (01865 762931) who moved to the Parish in July 1995 is the Priest in Charge. He is assisted by curate the Revd Bob Nichols (01865 433540) and by the Revd Alex Hughes (01865 741768) who was ordained as Deacon in July 2000.
The churchs mission statement is The aim of Holy Trinity is to be an open door between heaven and earth, showing Gods love to all and visitors from near and afar are always warmly welcomed at Holy Trinity.
Sunday worship consists of Holy Communion (Book of Common Prayer) at 8 a.m., the Parish Eucharist at 10 a.m., and Evensong at 6 p.m. The Eucharist is particularly well attended, the number of communicants being regularly in excess of a hundred. The format of the service is currently Rite B of the Alternative Service Book (1980) but the Parochial Church Council in July 2000 approved a move to Order 1 (contemporary-language version) of Common Worship. Other regular weekly services are an informal Pram Service on Tuesdays at 10 a.m. and Eucharist on Wednesdays at 10 a.m. Additional services are held on major saints days and other festivals.
Throughout the year a variety of social events are organised these include the annual church fête, Barn Dance, Quiz evening, Fireworks party, and community carol singing. A monthly Parish Magazine is issued (editor Mrs Judith Wood, 01865 763007).
Further information on any matter mentioned above may be obtained from: Adrian Wood, PCC secretary
Adrian Wood, August 2000
Best viewed at 800 x 600 with MS Internet Explorer & 16bit colour.
Disclaimer: Webhound Ltd. cannot be held responsible for any problems or losses encountered as a result of your use of its sites.
Please read our Full Disclaimer and Privacy Statement for more details. Your use of our sites is bound by their terms.
Copyright © 1999-2000 Webhound Ltd. & Contributor.
Please read our FAQs and send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
with questions or comments about this web site.